Andrew Cuomo, New York state Attorney General:
While serving as advisor and aide in the elder Cuomo's administration, Andrew Cuomo became particularly active in and knowledgeable of housing and homeless programs and issues. Cuomo served as U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during the Clinton administration, from 1997 to 2001.
Although widely admired for his accomplishments, Cuomo has a combative, prickly personality that doesn't endear him to voters. (See below for more.)
The 2010 New York Governor Race:
Paladino, a millionaire businessman supported by the Tea Party movement, is a blunt-talking fiscal conservative who has been entangled in various personal scandals, including sexually and racially offensive emails. Paladino controversially remarked in October 2010, "I don't want them [children] to be brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option."
Andrew Cuomo on the Issues:
- "Clean Up Albany. We must restore honor and integrity to government."
- "Get Our Fiscal House In Order. We must get our State’s fiscal house in order."
- "Rightsizing Government. Government in New York is too big, ineffective, and expensive."
- "NY Works. We must make New York the jobs capital of the nation."
- "NY Leads. New York has been a national leader in protecting and advancing individual rights and safeguarding the future of its citizens."
Andrew Cuomo's Career:
From 1997 to 2001, Andrew Cuomo was the Clinton administration's Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, where he innovated many policies to increase home ownership and affordable housing, and to end housing discrimination.
After an unsuccessful 2002 run for New York's Democratic gubernatorial nomination, Cuomo won 2006 election as New York Attorney General.
- Birth - Andrew Mark Cuomo on December 6, 1957 in New York City, one of five children born to Mario and Matilda Cuomo, an Italian-American family. Brother Chris is a journalist for ABC News.
- Education - Graduated in 1975 from Archbishop Molloy High School in New York. B.A., 1979, Fordham University. J.D., 1982, Albany Law School
- Family - Married from 1990 to 200, to Kerry Kennedy, daughter of the late Sen. Robert Kennedy. Three daughters: twins Cara and Mariah born in 1995, and Michaela born in 1997.
- Faith - Roman Catholic
Andrew Cuomo's Abrasive Persona:
Salon.com continued "Cuomo's ability to alienate was almost unparalleled. Cuomo... was a loyal Cabinet secretary during the Clinton administration, yet few of his former colleagues supported his campaign."