Sen Dick Durbin of Illinois:
A graduate of Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service, Sen. Durbin has a particular expertise in foreign relations. He's an unabashed supporter of Israel.
Dick Durbin is a close political confidante of President Obama, and was of his earliest supporters and endorsers.
Senate Committees in the 112th Congress, 2011-2012:
- Foreign Relations Committee
- Foreign Relations Subcommittee on European Affairs
- Foreign Relations Subcommittee on African Affairs
- Appropriations Committee
- Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services, Government (Chair)
- Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations
- Judiciary Committee
- Judiciary Subcommittee on Human Rights and the Law (Chair)
- Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees, Border Security
- Birth - November 21, 1944 in East St. Louis, Illinois to William Durbin and his Lithuanian-born wife Anna.
- Education - Assumption High School, 1962. B.A. in foreign service and economics, 1966, Georgetown University. J.D. in 1969, Georgetown University Law School
- Family - Married to Loretta Schaefer. Two adult children, Paul and Jennifer. Oldest child, Christine, died at age 40 in 2008. Three grandchildren, Alex, Ona and Floyd
- Faith - Roman Catholic
Sen Dick Durbin om the Issues:
"Our nation's foreign policies... must extend beyond diplomatic and military initiatives to include humanitarian and development assistance. Helping other nations in the global fight against HIV/AIDS or to provide clean water, for example, are important moral choices that also strengthen our nation's standing abroad as a global leader."
"My support for Israel is strong, as is my commitment to peace in the Middle East. Israel remains an important U.S. ally in the Middle East and the only stable multi-party democracy in the region. The strong and steady friendship between our two countries is built on a solid foundation of shared values, mutual support, and trust, and is in the fundamental interest of both nations.
"My actions in support of Israel and peace in the region include cosponsoring several pieces of legislation aimed and halting Iran's nuclear program and a resolution reaffirming Israel's right of self-defense and its right to take appropriate action to deter aggression by terrorist groups and their state sponsors.
"At the same time, I have remained sympathetic to the need to address the concerns of the Palestinian people. I have also cosponsored a resolution in support of the Israel-Palestinian peace process."
"One of the most significant environmental crises we face is climate change. We are already witnessing some effects of a changing climate—melting glaciers, rising sea levels, extreme weather events, chronic floods and droughts, and accelerated erosion. Scientists predict that these events will occur more frequently in the future with negative repercussions for our economy and national security, in addition to our environment.
I support updating the Clean Air Act to strengthen standards for air pollutants, such as mercury, smog, and carbon dioxide. Such standards protect public health and drive investment in the development of affordable, clean energy. I also am a strong advocate of mandatory fuel efficiency standards for vehicles, which can lessen our dependence on fossil fuels."