Sen. Kay Hagan of North Carolina:
Previously, Hagan served in the North Carolina State Senate where she was particularly known for her budgetary skills and support of the military.
Hagan won, in part, due to Obama's strong appeal in North Carolina, and because the Democratic party spent more funds on her senatorial campaign than any other in the 2008 cycle.
The '08 North Carolina Senate Race:
Dole, wife of former Sen. Robert Dole, suffered from a number of missteps, including lack of rapport with voters, and close association with Bush White House stances.
Dole's campaign also ran a controversial, unpopular ad that questioned Kay Hagan's Christian faith and dubbed her "godless." Hagan, in fact, is a church elder and Sunday School teacher.
Kay Hagan, Five-Term State Assembly Member:
As co-chair of the Budget Committee, Hagan became known as a skillful budgeter with no tolerance for wasteful spending who generated five balanced state budgets.
Her tenure was marked by an unwavering commitment to "keeping North Carolina the most military-friendly state in the country."
Kay Hagan on the Issues:
- Ending tax breaks for U.S. companies that outsources jobs overseas
- Increasing care fuel efficiency standards
- Full funding and new flexibility for No Child Left Behind
- Trade policies "written in the best interest of the middle-class"
- Expanding the college tuition tax credit
- Expanding access to pre-kindergarten education
Senate Committees in 112th Congress, 2011-2012:
- Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship Committee
- Armed Services Committee
- Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs Committee
Kay Hagan Before the North Carolina Assembly:
True to her family's tradition, however, Hagan remained active in Democratic politics, including serving as regional campaign manager for Gov. Jim Hunt's successful 1992 and 1996 campaigns.
- Birth - May 26, 1953 in Shelby, North Carolina to middle-class parents Joe and Jeanette Ruthven
- Education - B.A. in American Studies, 1975, Florida State University; J.D.,1978, Wake Forest University
- Family - Married to Chip Hagan, whom she met while law school together. Three adult children: Tilden, Carrie and Jeanette
- Faith - The Hagans are members of the Greensboro Presbyterian Church where Kay has served as elder and Sunday School teacher
Attorney Chip Hagan, Husband of Kay Hagan:
Hagan is a partner in the fledgling Greensboro law firm of Hagan, Davis, Mangum, Barrett, Langley, Hale, PLLC. Attorney Hagan specializes in mergers, acquisitions and business transactions, and serves as vice chair of the international law section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
Kay Hagan's Political and Military Family:
Hagan has multiple ties to the military: Her husband is a Vietnam veteran who attended law school on the GI bill; her father-in-law was a two-star Marine Corps general; her father and brother served in the Navy; and two nephews serve in active duty overseas, one as a Navy SEAL, one as an Air Force fighter pilot.
Her father, Joe P. Ruthven, is a successful real estate broker and community leader in Lakeland, Florida.