Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia:
Warner was often mentioned as a contender for the '08 presidential race, but, in October 2006, he removed his name from contention. Warner was a keynote speaker at the '08 Democratic Convention.
Sen. Warner will reportedly be part of the 7th season of cable TV show Top Chef, which starts airing on June 16, 2010.
Bipartisan Successes as Governor of Virginia, 2002-06:
Priorities as Governor:
- Education - Greatly strengthened public education and ensured affordability of community colleges.
- Technology - Started a $12 million fund that allowed broadband to stretch 700 miles through some of the most economically distressed areas of Virginia.
- Work Force Development - Added 150,000 new jobs, mainly in technology, by reeducating many without high school diplomas
Senate Committees in 112th Congress, 2011-2012:
- Budget Committee
- Commerce, Science & Transportation Committee
- Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs Committee
- Rules & Administration Committee
- Joint Economic Committee
- Select Committee on Intelligence
Early Political Career:
- 1973-77 - Interned with Connecticut members of Congress, including Sen. Abe Ribicoff, Rep. Ella Grasso and Sen. Christopher Dodd.
- 1980-82 - After Harvard Law, returned to DC to take a $350-a-week Democratic fundraising job.
- 1989 - Managed the successful campaign of Democrat Douglas Wilder to be Governor of Virginia.
- 1990 - Chair of Virginia's Democratic Party, to which he became a major donor.
- 1996 - Unsuccessful US Senate run against Republican incumbent John Warner.
Mark Warner Makes Millions in Business Deals:
Warner made a $100 million fortune from these deals, and then rededicated himself to politics.
- Birth - December 15, 1954 in Indianapolis, IN to a middle-class Republican family.
- Education - Rockville High School in CT; BA, Political Science, George Washington Univ, 1977. JD, Harvard Law School, 1980.
- Family - Married to Lisa Collis; 3 daughters, born in 1990 to 1994.
- Faith - Presbyterian
- Despite law degree, Warner never worked as a lawyer. Warner owns 15 acres of wine-producing vineyards in Virginia. His father remains a staunch Republican.
Lisa Collis, Wife of Mark Warner:
As First Lady, she was active in child abuse and wellness programs. She now heads the Collis-Warner Foundation which supports health and child abuse initiatives. Lisa and Mark met in 1984 at a party in DC.
The Mark Warner Persona:
Warner found his niche in politics in high school, where he was class president for 3 years. He has a fondness for basketball and a taste for luxury and great parties. He celebrated his 50th birthday with a lavish 1,000-person fundraiser bash that netted $2 million for his coffers.