From Deborah White, former About.com Guide
Barack Obama, Democratic Leader
By Deborah White, your Guide to US Liberal Politics
Barack Obama is a charismatic, visionary leader, known for his sound judgment and strong senses of ethics and integrity. Senator Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate from Illinois in November 2004. Before that, he served for seven years as an Illinois State Senator. In 2005, Time magazine dubbed him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. Barack Obama is a leading candidate for the Democratic nomination for the 2008 presidential race.
The Basics about Barack Obama
Professional and personal profile, and vital, current info about Sen. Clinton's candidacy and campaign for the Democratic nomination for the 2008 presidential race.
- Profile of Sen. Barack Obama, 2008 Presidential Candidate
- Rating Barack Obama - Cumulative 2008 Race Scorecard
- Barack Obama in 2008 - Fundraising Statistics & Donor Info
- Profile of Michelle Obama - Married to Barack Obama
Barack Obama - Policies, Proposals and Speeches
Barack Obama's voting record and stances as U.S. Senator, Illinois State Senator and community political organizer reflect a practical, common sense progressive thinker. In 2002, Barack Obama publicly opposed the Iraq War, and continues to call for withdrawal of US troops from Iraq. He urges universal health care, and if elected president, promises implementation by the end of his first term. Obama opposes privatization of Social Security. The following is a sampling of his proposals and stances on top issues.
- Barack Obama's Visionary Peace Plan for Iraq
- Barack Obama Slams No Child Left Behind, Supports Teachers
- Barack Obama's Courageous Speech on Immigration Reform