U.S. Senator Christopher Coons:
Coons was elected to a four-year terms as County Executive in 2004 and 2008. Coons' first political race was in 2000 when he was elected as New Castle County Council President.
Christopher Coons on the Issues:
- "Strengthen America’s economy through strategic long-term investments in infrastructure, training and workforce development."
- "Fight for trade agreements that contain good labor and environmental standards."
- "Chris supports President Obama’s landmark health care legislation and is committed to working across the aisle to make it better."
- "Encourage all governments and businesses to inventory their greenhouse gas emissions... and become more energy efficient.
- "He will support and expand programs that provide all Americans the opportunity to attend college."
Senate Committees in 112th Congress, 2011-2012:
- Budget Committee
- Judiciary Committee
- Foreign Relations Committee
- Energy, Natural Resources Committee
Christopher Coons' Career:
Coons next worked for the nonprofit I Have a Dream Foundation in New York, until departing to be legal counsel in 1996 for W.L Gore & Associates, Inc, manufacturer of high-tech fabrics. Mr. Coons' stepfather is W.L. Gore, company president, and his mother is Human Resources director. Gore is one of the 200 largest privately held U.S. companies. Mr. Coons was Gore legal counsel for eight years.
After College, Before Graduate School:
- Birth - On September 9, 2010 in Greenwich, Connecticut to Ken and Sally Coons, working class parents who divorced when Chris was young. His mother remarried, to Robert Gore, founder of the company that makes Gore-Tex fabrics.
- Education - Graduated from Tower Hill School, a private school in Wilmington.
- Colleges - B.A. in political science, chemistry, Amherst College, 1985. M.A. in Ethics, Yale Divinity School, and J.D., Yale Law School, both 1992. During his Amherst junior year, he studied at University of Nairobi.
- Family - Married in 1996 to Annie Lingerfelter. Three children: Michael, Jack, Maggie.
- Faith - Presbyterian