Rep. Harold Ford, Jr., U.S. Senate Candidate from New York:
In January 2006, Ford was named Chair of Democratic Leadership Council, an influential think tank for moderate Democrats, and was a active member of the House's Blue Dog Democrats. He delivered the keynote address at the 2000 Democratic Convention, and brashly opposed Nancy Pelosi in 2002 for House Minority Leader.
Tennessee's 2006 Senate Race:
Harold Ford, Jr. on the Issues:
In 2010, though, Ford moved away from his opposition to both gay marriage and staunchly pro-life stances. Interestingly, in 2010, Ford opposes the proposed health care reform legislation, and supported bailouts of Wall street as "the lifeblood" of New York.
Harold Ford, Jr. in Congress:
House of Representatives Committees & Affiliations:
- House Budget Committee
- House Committee on Financial Services
- House Subcommittee on Financial Institutions
- House Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance & Gov't Sponsored Enterprises
- The Blue Dog Coalition (fiscally moderate Democrats)
- Congressional Black Caucus
- Democratic Leadership Council (centrist Democrats)
- Transformation Advisory Group (bipartisan advisors from industry, academia, and government to the US military Joint forces Command)
- Birth - May 11, 1970 in Memphis, Tennessee, one of five children born to Rep. Harold Ford, Sr. and Dorothy Ford. For generations, the Ford family has been prominent in Memphis society and wealthy leaders of the funeral industry in Memphis' black community.
- Education - St. Albans School for Boys, Washington, D.C.; B.A. in American History, University of Pennsylvania, 1992; J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1996.
- Family - Married on April 26, 2008 to Emily Threlkeld, a New York fashion executive. Ford moved to New York in 2007 after he became engaged to Threlkeld.
- Faith - Baptist
The Harold Ford, Jr. Persona:
Rep. Harold Ford, Sr. and the Ford Family Dynasty:
The Ford Family Dynasty and Scandals:
Memorable Quotes about Harold Ford, Jr.:
-- Washington Post op-ed columnist Harold Meyerson, on August 23, 2006
"Listen to Ford talk, and he is the very measure of a modern Southern Democrat. His voting record, however, tells a slightly different tale. Ford is among the most liberal members of the Tennessee delegation, with a lifetime rating of 20 (on a scale of 0 to 100, 100 being arch-conservative) from the American Conservative Union. The ratings index for that group’s liberal counterpart, the Americans for Democratic Action, reflects the same thing, just in reverse... "
-- Metro Pulse, a Knoxville newspaper, on June 3, 2004
"... progressive blacks, including the 18 members of the Congressional Black Caucus that belong to the Congressional Progressive Caucus, are loathe to confront treason in the ranks, and thus allow malefactors like Harold Ford to work their show for the rich white corporate folks, without political penalty. Ford’s constituents in Memphis don’t even know that he’s stabbing them in the back. "
-- The Black Commentator, on January 6, 2005