I'm writing from northern Nevada this week, rather than my usual Southern California locale... and I can tell you, the TV ads and local press coverage of this particular race are constant and quite fascinating.
Cut through all the campaign blather, though, and what emerges is the portrait of a astonishing extremist in former state legislator Angle. Even if polls now show Angle and Reid running neck-in-neck, her support can't possibly hold in common-sense Nevada as her views become more widely known, and as she continues to indulge in impossibly tone-deaf comments.
An article in today's Reno Gazette-Journal reports on Sharron Angle's recent interview with Christian evangelist Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network, including the following:
- " 'Moses has his preparatory time. Paul had his preparatory time. Even Jesus had his preparatory time,' Angle said, citing her years in public office as her preparation for the race."
- "In a wide-ranging interview,... she defended an overhaul of her campaign website in which many of her earlier positions on Social Security and other issues were rewritten, condensed or deleted... Among her positions, she opposes abortion in all circumstances, including rape and incest."
- " Angle has appeared largely on conservative media outlets... She said... she gets the best return for her time on conservative programs, which drive up donations. In mainstream media outlets, 'there's no earnings for me there,' she added."
And the Journal's Letters to the Editor page included the following just yesterday or today:
- Letter to the Editor - "I read where Sharron Angle wears the title of worst Nevada legislator as a badge of honor... The mayors of both Reno and Sparks are both Republicans, but they both endorse her opponent, Harry Reid."
- Letter to the Editor - "... after the November election, there will be a summit for Nevada and neighboring states to reach an agreement on water rights... Whom do we want to sit at this table to get the best deal, the 500-lb gorilla of the Senate or Minnie Mouse?"
- Letter to the Editor "If, because of some 'anti-incumbent' fanaticism, we don't send Harry Reid back to the Senate where his position puts Nevada on the map, then we are cutting off our nose to spite our face."
Independents don't vote for extremists of Sharron Angle's ilk, and Nevada is brimming with Independents and independent-thinking, Barry Goldwater-style Republicans who believe that government has no business meddling in Americans' personal lives. And no business cramming their religion down Americans' throats.
No question about it: as statewide voters get to know Sharron Angle, her support will disappear faster than her radical campaign website did the day after she won the Republican primary.
Mark my words: Harry Reid will be reelected to a fifth term in the U.S. Senate.
See Profile of Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, Senate Majority Leader for more. For insider info on all mid-term Senate races, see 2010 U.S. Senate Races - Who's Winning, Who's Not.
(Photo of Sen. Reid taken on June 1, 2010: Ethan Miller/Getty Images)