1. News & Issues

Nazi Imagery Distributed at Rep. Ed Royce's Town Hall

By August 9, 2009

UPDATE at 4 pm PDT, August 10, 2009 - In response to this post, a spokesman for Republican Congressman Ed Royce (CA-40) issued the following statement:

"Individuals who attend my town hall meetings are not allowed to distribute their materials or display signs inside the meeting. The individual in question was stopped at the door and told to dispose of his sign. Unfortunately, he was able to sneak several highly objectionable fliers from the Lyndon LaRouche organization into the meeting. Any attempt to portray me or my office as endorsing these repugnant fliers is 100 percent false."

See TheLiberalOC.com for more about Rep. Royce's statement this afternoon regarding political literature with Nazi imagery being distributed at his town hall on August 8, 2009.

Original Post - "The political lunatic fringe today are conservatives, and wow, they're incredibly unhinged.

The sick trash at right is the cover of a 16-page magazine widely distributed on August 8, 2009 at Republican Rep. Ed Royce's town hall in Orange County, California, which I attended. (Royce is my elected Congressman.)

The ludicrous cover depicts Adolf Hitler casting an admiring glance at President Barack Obama, who is surrounded by adoring throngs of Third Reich adherents. (Ludicrous because Hitler hated blacks, calling them sub-human.)

Inside this astonishing literature are articles entitled:

• Obama's 'Pound of Flesh': Act Now!
  • Nazi Precedent for Obama Health Plan
  • Obama's Nazi Doctors and Their 'Reforms'

The weird pièce de résistance inside is this photo collage of "Dracula: The Godfather of
Obama's 'Health-Care Reformers" with head shots of Peter Orszag, Obama's Director of the Office of Management and Budget; Larry Summers, Obama's Director of the White House National Economic Council; and three lesser known Obama administration members.

I thought it was a bona fide joke when I first spied the hilarious Dracula puffery. When I realized they were dead serious, a slight chill of fear ran through me.

I have no idea if Rep. Royce knew this rubbish was openly passed out inside the room just before he arrived. But I watched his many staffers do absolutely nothing to stop it.

When Royce accidentally took questions from a couple lunatic fringers, he said nothing to refute their crazed, obviously scripted rantings about "killing old people," euthanasia, and the like... other than to smoothly move on to the next question.

Mind you, as best I can tell, the conservative wack-jobs were less than 5% of the overflow town hall crowd. But they quite effectively riled up the already frightened white, over-65 Republicans who comprised about 75% of those in attendance.

The normally manner-minded suburban seniors were so agitated that, when I spoke up very briefly to say that I believe the President when he states that health care reform will not cover illegal immigrants, I got loudly...very loudly... booed. And laughed at derisively like I was some naive dolt. Of course, Republican Royce did nothing to clarify or intervene.

Honestly, I was stunned by the cyncism about our nation's President and deep, deep anger about... well, everything not going their way.

Of course, every American has a right to free speech. I respect Rep. Royce for holding more than 100 town halls so far during his 16 years in Congress, and listening to every concern raised at the confabs. And I deeply respect the citizenry for taking an active role in holding Rep. Royce accountable to them.

But nothing constructive is accomplished for our, or any, community by an angered mob hell-bent on silencing or ridiculing all who disagree with their fevered perspective, and who seek to besmirch President Obama.

And sick trash like that handed out at Ed Royce's town hall only drives centrists and independents firmly away from conservatism and conservative causes, including health care reform.

I can't help but wonder where all this over-heated, slanderous conservative extremism will lead and how it will end.

And for God's sake, I wonder why so-called conservative moderates, as Rep. Royce, don't stand up strongly and lead Republicans back to a place of reason and rationality. It may be the only way to save the Republican party from destruction by lunacy.

Comments

August 9, 2009 at 8:17 pm
(1) Ally says:

I used to be a Republican. I voted for Bush one time. In my college days I volunteered for Feminists for Life. But my conscience couldn’t let me keep working for a party who regularly looks over the less fortunate in out world.

August 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm
(2) John Ballard says:

My one regret from the Civil Rights era is that I never spent a night in jail. I wish now that I had so I could brag about it to my grandchildren. Picketing and getting tossed out of my apartment wasn’t nearly as dramatic.
I’m thinking that someday you will be able to brag about getting booed and shouted down at that meeting.

August 10, 2009 at 12:01 am
(3) Sean says:

I am a Conservative and will be the FIRST to say this is abhorrent. There is plenty to discuss without having to go into the gutter to make your point.

I completely disagree with the government’s ahnd in anything. That includes Medicare, though it happened before my time.

The fact that Medicare works adn now may be expanded to everyone should be cause for concern. Regardless, one would hope that fringe folk on both sides would be denounced… like Speaker pelosi and HER nazi comment about me.

August 10, 2009 at 9:42 am
(4) Disgusted says:

Thanks for covering this.

By saying nothing, Royce becomes a co-conspirator with the lunatic fringe.

While he’s not as flat-out wacky as Rohrabacher and John Campbell, he’s playing along with a party that has been taken over by an anti-intellectual group of Southern bigots.

Intellectuals, moderates, and pragmatists aren’t welcome in the modern Republican party, whose real leaders are Beck, Limbaugh, and Palin.

August 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(5) Mrs. Robles says:

Where, or where is the Republican Party I can love? I want the sane, reasonable, smart Republican Party back.

I cannot stand by the Republicans now. The birthers, the fear mongers, the flat out crazies spouting all sorts of nonsense (like Obama wanting to kill the elderly of this country). Really?!!?!?

I hope the Party comes to its senses and starts speaking the truth for once and not all the other nonsense. Tell us what is truly wrong with the new Health Plan. Give us the dollars and cents. The reasonable arguments. I WANT TO KNOW.

Until then, I cannot listen to the other nonsense.

August 12, 2009 at 2:22 am
(6) bshuler says:

Like the rest of you, I am deeply concerned about the Republican party. I am a Democrat, but married a Republican — I’m not threatened by a difference of opinions. This is NOT the Republican party of the Reagan era, though. The radical right-wing press spews hate and fear continuously. Give us your opinions on health care, etc., but don’t call us Nazis, Socialists, Elder-Killers, etc.!! We’ve truly lost the ability to debate issues intelligently. My theory is that this hate-mongering started when the religious right got a strangle-hold on the Republican party. There must be a fringe element there that reasons: “God is on my side, so every Democrat is EVIL!” I found it interesting to watch the parties’ conventions last summer. The Republicans supported a woman candidate, while the Democrats discussed fiscal responsibility and family values. We balance each other out, but there is no balance in this HATE/FEAR rhetoric. This Republican lambast is like the cry of a dying party. We need a sane, sober, approachable party to help nurture our great country.

August 13, 2009 at 5:34 pm
(7) Moonwood says:

Any media outlet which allows this nonsense about “death panels” and euthanasia to be spread without calling it what it is – lying, fear mongering, and demagoguery is complicit.

March 30, 2010 at 3:14 am
(8) Clarity says:

Where you so adamant when the lunatic left were equating Bush with Hitler during the ramp up to the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan? Just for clarity you understand.

March 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(9) Tom Snyder says:

You loosely use the term “conservative,” you Kool-Aid drinker. As usual, leftist wing-nuts have to lie and obfuscate to demonize Republicans and real conservatives. That’s how they fool the people and control the mainstream media, not to mention the public schools and state universities.