Despite the large stack of books already in both my in-process and to-read piles, I'm joining today, and, for many reasons, I couldn't be more thrilled over this book club for and by the progressive community.
The enlightening and energizing book selections (there are hundreds of must-reads! ) are picked by a distinguished board of top progressive leaders, which includes:
- George Lakoff, UC Berkeley professor of linguistics, "framing" theory fame
- Hendrik Hertzberg, senior editor at the New Yorker
- Markos Moulitsas Zuniga (Kos of DailyKos)
- John Podesta, President of the Center for American Progress
- Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor/publisher of The Nation
- David Brock, president of Media Matters
- Many best-selling novelists including Barbara Kingsolver and Maxine Hong Kingston
And to further support the progressive movement, the PBC commits:
"Just as important, you'll help to build a powerful movement by underwriting progressive organizations and media with the dollars you spend here. Every time you buy a book from PBC, a significant portion of the proceeds will be donated to groups doing the kind of work that you support." (See the list of groups HERE.)
Seriously... how very cool is that?
As a result, I plan to step-up the pace of my review of books important to the progressive movement, to help you become informed and engaged as we move forward to reclaim the White House, and to establish greater majorities in both houses of Congress.
I'm currently reading three books at the moment, and in the coming weeks, will have reviews of all three for you:
- "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. "One man's mission to promote peace, one school at a time."
- "The Uprising" by David Sirota. "An unauthorized tour of the populist revolt scaring Wall Street and Washington."
- "Pennsylvania Avenue: Profiles in Backroom Power" by CNN's John Harwood and the Wall Street Journal's Gerald Seib.
Meanwhile, peruse a few reviews/lists I have written, to perhaps find a book to add today to your summer reading list:
- Book Review - "Microtrends" by Mark J. Penn
- Book Review - "Peace Mom" by Cindy Sheehan
- Book Review - "Patriots Act - Voices of Dissent and the Risk of Speaking Out" by Bill Katovsky
- Top 5 Books on How to Take Action to Change the World
- Top 10 Books by Democratic U.S. Senators