1. News & Issues

Arnold Schwarzenegger, California's Newest Democrat

By January 14, 2006

Meet California's newest convert to Democratic thinking, Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last time we saw Governator Arnold, it was November 2004, and he singlehandedly spent (i.e. wasted...) $300 million of state taxpayers funds on four stringent and stingy, government-reshaping ballot measures that all failed miserably at the ballot box. During his campaign for the measures, he deeply offended almost every respected employee group in California from teachers and professors to police and firefighters, nurses and doctors and many more.

And, of course, before this 2004 debacle, Arnold launched a "California Performance Review" of state government, with glowing promises of saving billions. But those top-to-bottom audits also failed to deliver on Arnold's whopping promises.

On January 5, 2006, the Republican governor of Caifornia, a state in which 2/3 of voters are registered Democrats, delivered his annual State of the State address...and it was an eye-opener.

"I have absorbed my defeat. I have learned my lesson " proclaimed the mega-movie-star turned governor. "To my fellow Californians, I say, 'Message received.' "

The "message received" by California's 38th governor is that to be reelected in 2006, he needs to sharply change his voter-repellent Republican ways. That sharp change is away from damn-the-infrastructure Bush Republicanism and toward traditional Democratic thought on shoring up America's education and public works systems and helping the American worker with a raise and a plethora of public projects jobs.

Arnold specifically proposed in his January 5, 2006 speech:
-- $222.6 billion in public works improvements over 20 years, to be paid partly by $68 billion in new general obligation bonds
-- 550 miles of new carpool lanes, 750 new highway miles, 600 miles of new commuter rail lines and 8,500 of bicycle and pedestrian paths
-- $26.3 billion for new charter and technical schools, 2,000 new smaller public schools, and modernization of 140,000 classrooms
-- Two new prisons
-- A new crime lab
-- Repair and reconstruction of California's aging infrastructure, including ports, dams, power plants, levees, bridges, prisons, mental hospitals, parks and the state's 50,000 miles of freeways.
-- $1 per hour raise in the state minimum wage for all hourly workers

All with no new taxes. Of course.

The Los Angeles Times reported that "Republicans and Democrats alike greeted Schwarzenegger's speech with tepid applause and later, guarded comments. "
---------------
The governator's new ideas are decidedly Democratic in nature, and polar-opposites from Bush Administration proposals on the federal level. His proposals are exciting, and point toward a Roosevelt-esque approach to bolstering California's desperately sagging fiscal situation and to rebuilding the state's infrastructure.

I hope he succeeds.....everyone does, but Arnold has proven himself to be long on bold ideas, yet woefully short on implementing those ideas.

Arnold recently hired a a new chief of staff, top state Democrat, Susan Kennedy, an avowed lesbian and abortion-rights activist with fiscally conservative instincts. And Arnold's closest advisor and staunchest supporter is his wife, Maria Shriver, a proud Democrat and niece of Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and of the late President John F. Kennedy. Arnold has always quietly been on record as being pro-choice and supporting stem cell research and some gay rights issues.

As California goes, so eventually goes the nation in many trends and patterns. It's interesting to note that as national polls clearly show Americans frustrated with Bush-style Republicanism, the Republican governor of the nation's largest state takes an unabashed Democratic policy route to reelection in 2006.

All I have to say is.....Welcome to the Democratic Party, Arnold! What took you so long???
------------------------------
Technorati Profile

Comments

March 21, 2007 at 10:36 pm
(1) juandos says:

Thanks for outting Schwarzenegger for devolving into a cowardly, libtard, socialist…

November 30, 2007 at 1:33 pm
(2) Princess says:

It’s about time that we got a Governer that knows what he is doing.

October 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm
(3) Tim says:

How interesting to read this written in January 2006, and now being 2009. What a change. Dare I say that perhaps the author’s celebration at Governor Schwarzenegger’s change to Democratic principles were so instructive on what such Democrat principles have led to. Now California is bankrupt; spending far more than they can bring in by tax revenue. California’s solution to this has been to raise income taxes which simply will chase away high income earners. One thing the author was correct about was her assertion that as what happens in California happens to the rest of the nation.
Unfortunately this is true and the country now knows what it can look forward to.
Signed an Independent Minority Voter.

December 16, 2009 at 4:38 pm
(4) eleighs says:

So funny I found this article now in Dec. 2009 !!!! and all I have to say is LMAO !!!
This guy never should have been taken seriously…. but the lefts minds are so easily swayed are they not? The liberals are like the ‘mothers’ of the world who just want to help everyone- but they lack rational thought, because they end up doing this at the cost of our hard earned money, freedom & the US constitution.

NOTE TO EVERYONE FOOLED BY OBAMA & EVERY OTHER TOOL OUT THERE:
Just because it sounds like a good idea – doesn’t mean that it will work.
STOP spending, -let capitalism WORK its MAGIC, Gov’t programs DO NOT WORK – in fact they usually harm the very people they are supposed to help. Gov’t is a greedy monster TOO BIG to combust on its own
–it’s time for a revolution my dear friends. We can all help each other out – but we need to help ourselves first in order to do that.

I apologize if you don’t agree with me, but you can take it or leave it — and by the way — the backbone of this country would rather you LEAVE.

Sincerely,
OUTRAGED

April 10, 2010 at 12:52 am
(5) Troy H. says:

I too would have to agree with The two other gentlemen! Not just to shame Mr. Arnold (the actor turned governor). He did what he does best; ACT! What is truly sad are the very simple facts here in the original writers article. The country is heading down the same path as California. Our so called leaders on the left side have done their collective best to grab as much power as they can. The money spending has got to stop. The obama zombies have to be woke up, or something?! It is time for “we the people” to make the change. It is time for Faith, Hope, Charity. As well as making sure each and every one hears, and clearly understands just who this obama really is. I mean come on. Look up the words; socialism, Marxism, and communism! You will see they are all interconnected. This is what obama stands for. He has said all along he WILL change AMERICA! That he will give America SOCIAL JUSTICE! America better wake up. I promise you, we can not have our children, and grandchildren be left with any more of this crap! Change is needed. It must start this Nov. 2010. VOTE!

July 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm
(6) petemoss says:

to eleighs…. that was perfect i couldn’t have said it better!

October 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(7) Fernando says:

I am reading this one week and a half before election day 2010, my absentee ballot already sent.
I could not have expressed better the reasons why I decided not to cast a vote in the governor election. To me, Jerry Brown is a known Democrat while Meg Whitman is another Arnold, ie, another Democrat in disguise. So, there is no real difference between these two. I’ll let the rest of Californians pick which which Democrat they are more comfortable with as their next Governor :D . After much hesitation though, I cast my vote for Carly Fiorina. I hope I don’t have to regret it in the future.

October 21, 2012 at 12:32 am
(8) tan says:

Thank you for this article, it makes me feel a whole lot better to know that Arnold is Democrat after all. The man is a joke, failure, cheater and no moral…He is a perfect Democrat! !!!!